Quebec government to announce $40m for anti-gun crime measures

Authorities to announce increases in funding for victims of gun violence on Thursday as national investigation into shooting at concert venue continues Quebec’s government will announce on Thursday more money for crime prevention measures…

Quebec government to announce $40m for anti-gun crime measures

Authorities to announce increases in funding for victims of gun violence on Thursday as national investigation into shooting at concert venue continues

Quebec’s government will announce on Thursday more money for crime prevention measures in the wake of a string of shooting attacks in the city of Montreal, a Ministry of Justice spokesman said.

The provincial government will provide an additional 50m Canadian dollars (£30m) in funds for victims of gun violence in the fiscal year that began last week, Jean-François Parenteau said.

Anastasia De Sousa: 10 questions I want asked of RCMP after Ottawa shooting Read more

The news conference on Thursday is expected to follow a list of measures, leaked to the media, that Quebec’s provincial and municipal governments published on Wednesday to prevent further attacks.

That document includes funding for the creation of the city of Montréal’s first-ever emergency rapid response unit. Such units have already been created in Toronto and in Washington.

The announcement came as more details emerged about the shooting at a US holiday concert on Thursday that killed two men and wounded 13 others, including an off-duty Quebec police officer.

The interior minister, Sonia LeBel, told reporters that the provincial public security agency, known as the OFSP, is to probe the incident. “We’re really at the beginning of this,” she said.

The Paris prosecutor’s office says the perpetrator of Thursday’s attack has been identified as a 22-year-old French citizen with dual nationality. The suspect has been identified as Amor Ftouhi, who arrived in Canada on 6 August.

Amor Ftouhi. Photograph: local media

Ftouhi went to the United States and then made his way to Montreal, where he was arrested on Tuesday.

Authorities were tight-lipped about his possible motivation, but his lawyer, Maxime Chagnon, told the Canadian Press the suspect was “not angry or agitated about politics”.

The federal government is also to announce new funding for programs to combat gang violence, several media outlets reported.

On Monday, five people were shot in the city of Laval, 50 miles north of Montreal. The gunman in that attack killed a man at a grocery store before police killed him.

Concert attendees in Montreal, where a gunman killed two and wounded 13 on Thursday, had earlier been evacuated after a man at a music festival nearby opened fire.

Ottawa police have identified the gunman as 32-year-old Amor Ftouhi, who was shot dead after wounding a police officer and striking another victim. Ottawa police had arrested Ftouhi after he allegedly stabbed a man in the neck in New York state on Saturday.

In November, at least two Canadians were wounded by gunshots while out for a day on the town, according to the Globe and Mail.

Leave a Comment